WulfTheTeacher

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

SpaceShipOne on Display at Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum

SpaceShipOne was formally donated to the Smithsonian in a ceremony in Washington D.C. today. It now hangs between Charles Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis and Chuck Yeager's Bell X-1.


Burt Rutan and Paul Allen were on hand at the ceremony. If you don't know what SpaceShipOne is and why it belongs in the NASM, consider this:
Like many space entrepreneurs, Rutan thinks the private sector can do what NASA cannot: inspire tomorrow's astronauts and scientists by offering them the real promise of a trip to space.
There are signs that SpaceShipOne's historic suborbital flights marked the dawn of a new space age.
Of the 26 teams that entered the Ansari X Prize competition, 10 are now viable companies, according to Ian Murphy, spokesman for the prize's successor, the X Prize Cup.
Rutan has a deal with British entrepreneur Richard Branson, chairman of the Virgin Group, to build a fleet of five spacecraft. The new company, Virgin Galactic, will take passengers on 2 1/2-hour trips into space for $200,000 each.

3 Comments:

  • Perhaps there will be "school group rates" and teachers will get to accompany for free... LOL

    By Blogger Lolita, at 1:24 PM  

  • I'm glad that you covered this. Contrary to prevailing opinion, I think that it will be many years before we see "affordable" space tourism. The cost of lift is simply too high.

    By Blogger EdWonk, at 2:18 AM  

  • Hello! I'm a teacher blogger and I do podcasting too.

    I hope we can learn from each other. Please feel free to exchange thoughts with us regarding the ideas I present in my entries. I hope you won't get intimidated by the commenters speaking in my native language (I am a Filipino by the way). You're always welcome to visit my blog.

    By Blogger Teacher Sol, at 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home