WulfTheTeacher

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Technology Stinks



I spent 90 minutes before classes this morning trying to get the printer working. Any of the printers. Any one of the (counting, counting) 9 printers I am supposed to have access to at my school.

Understand that I am about as computer literate as you can get without being paid to be a computer geek. But something in this new system sucks. I don't know what the problem is, but it is going to get pretty critical soon.

After school I got a chance to see the Film Club for the first time since June. The Film Club at our school does not watch films or discuss the social impact of films, as I had supposed when I first heard of them. They make films. As I now enter my 13th month of sponsoring this club, I have to be honest and admit that I have never done a damn thing for them. They are completely self-driven, extremely motivated, and really good. Other than providing a room for weekly meetings and access to an LCD projector, my major contribution has been to read scripts and watch footage while saying, "Great but inappropriate." "Really good story but the school cannot sponsor you making a film about a teacher who murders his students, even if an angel dismembers him at the end." "That goes beyond innuendo and is just plain sexual." Etc. Sometimes I really feel like I am being a dick... a real Principal Richard Vernon. They assure me I am not, but I hate stifling these 17 year olds on issues that I really don't think are a big deal, personally. My life as a teacher.

2 Comments:

  • but it was fun making a film about a homocidal teacher

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:01 AM  

  • Dare I pursue this?

    By Blogger Wulf, at 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home