WulfTheTeacher

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Pat LaFontaine's Jersey Retired


I have mentioned before that I am a big hockey fan. I grew up watching the Buffalo Sabres on both Buffalo and Toronto stations, and I have wonderful memories of going to games in a blue and gold jersey with my name on the back. Now that I live in Virginia, I usually make at least one trek per season to see the Sabres when they visit nearby Washington. My son wears my old blue jersey when I play with him and my daughter in the cul-de-sac, with that little orange hockey ball and some short sticks. I'm a big fan.

I'll be honest, the only reason I want cable TV is to watch hockey games. There is nothing else I put on the screen for myself.

I remember seeing Pat LaFontaine play for Buffalo. I remember his team-record 148-point season in 1992-93. I even remember seeing him get into a fight at the game where Tim Horton's jersey was retired - a game where I got the autographs of Rick Martin and Rene Robert.

I hated seeing his career cut short by injury. I wish I could have been there last night when the Sabres retired his jersey.

I admit, I might have shed a few tears when Sabres announcer and emcee Rick Jeanneret closed the pregame celebration by leading the crowd in the old familiar, "La-la-la-la-la-LaFontaine!"

I just wanted to give the Hall of Famer a little salute, and remind myself of how beautiful it was to watch him on the ice. So, here's to Patty!

3 Comments:

  • You saw LaFontaine get into a fight? Are you serious? Isn't he a Lady Bing winner?

    I got to see him in New York, he was a class act.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 AM  

  • No, no Lady Bing - though I think he was nominated a few times.

    He only got a roughing penalty, but that's because there were a lot of gloves on the ice at that point in the game. The refs don't see everything.

    Incidentally, I find hockey very useful as a parent. When we are watching a game and the players start getting rough, I ask my kids, "what happens if he can't play nicely?"

    "He's gonna get a time out!"

    Yes, he is. It's one of the few sports that recognizes that people misbehave, and it doesn't make them bad. They just need to settle down for a few minutes, and then they can come back and play.

    By Blogger Wulf, at 9:27 AM  

  • I'm a Sabres fan too. I spend a fortune on cable just to watch English soccer matches and Sabres hockey through NHL Center Ice.

    It was nice to see a picture of the old blue and gold jersey. Hopefully Golisano brings back those. They did wear them on the final home game last year.

    LaFontaine/Mogilny were something else together.

    Go Sabres!

    By Blogger IB a Math Teacher, at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home